Tuesday, July 25, 2006

A Light to Guide the Way

The lighthouse in St. Michaels, Maryland

After much agonizing, I finally decided on a color. Two things helped catalyze the decision.

1) We visited open houses this weekend, where I discovered what my house has been trying to tell me. It didn't want dark, deep and rich. It really wanted to be light. It said, "I am not a 1920's neo-colonial with dark woodwork and high ceilings. I am a light airy cottage with big windows." The other houses we looked at somehow clarified this for us.

2) My sister, who has a special eye for these things, honed in on a color from 1000 miles away, in another state, over the phone. I've always trusted her design expertise. So even though I had already previously tried (and literally tossed out) the color she picked, I decided to go dig the board out of the trash and consider it again. Lo and behold, it was somehow perfect. Not too peach, no hint of green, not at all muddy. I originally tossed it because it was light, but once I listened to the house and stopped looking at darks, and with a little push in the right direction, I found my color. Benjamin Moore's Lighthouse. And guess what? It's on the same color strip as my other yellow, Morning Sunshine, just one shade lighter.

Sometimes, we waste a lot of effort searching for something without realizing that what we really want is right under our nose. We simply need to slow down, listen more closely to our surroundings, and be willing to alter our perspective, even if only a little bit.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that I've received my first published review, I'm practically a famous decorator. Thanks for the plug. - DS

7/25/2006 1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LLLOOOOVVVVEEEEE yellow - my kitchen is very, very yellow with red checked window treatments Mama made, my den and all the hallways are a shade lighter yellow. My office is the two yellows and a blue painted in colorwashed stripes. The kids bathroom is lime green (love it!) and Ashton's room is purple, Tristan's is red painted to look like denim, and mine and Richard's bedroom is colorwashed light blue (evokes the ocean feel which goes along with our tropical bedding and grass hula skirt window treatment and bed skirt. My house is truly a color explosion!!! But it's very HAPPY! - Dawn

7/26/2006 8:19 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Thanks Dawn! Your house sounds fun! Yes, HAPPY yellow is what I'm after! Happy...happy... awww, remember Happy? I didn't until just this second. She was so sweet. I had a duck named Happy too. Maybe soon, I'll write a post about all the Happy dogs and ducks in my life.

7/31/2006 7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Return to Turtle Hollow - Main Page