Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Best Laid Plans


Goldenrod signals the end of summer


A plateau has been reached. Progress seems stalled. I am exhausted. In reality, I am just running out of time. Even though so much has been accomplished this summer, there are still so many things I had planned that I haven't yet done. Like visit the rehab center, and work for a few weeks at the emergency clinic. Like get to the dentist or have my hair done. Like visit my family down South. Take a real vacation. Or can tomatoes. Research and prepare for a conference presentation I am scheduled to give in October of 2007. Like get a jump-start in studying for boards (NAVLE). OK, really, who was I kidding?

Alas, the kitchen will not be finished like I optimistically projected a couple of months ago. My sister is flying in tomorrow to see the progress, and we're not done. However, it is enormously improved from what it was when I arrived in May. In fact, the police came to the door last night looking for my elderly neighbor who had wandered off*, and for the first time in years, I didn't panic that an uninvited "outsider" might peer in my window, see the bare studs, frayed hanging electrical wires and large gaping holes in the floor and haul us off to social services or some such. Because I have walls. I have painted walls. And trim. And finished floors. Soon we will have cabinets and cooking appliances and counters and a dishwasher. For now, we have walls. And walls are good.

*After a three-hour search involving the local police, volunteer fire department, and the state police with ATVs and helicopters sweeping the swamp with infrared, she was found unharmed, sitting quietly down the road, alone in another neighbor's pool house.

Happy Birthday to my Sister!